Summary: A high-energy classic that incorporates celebrating differences.
- Select one player to be the “shark.” All other players will be “minnows”.
- Have the shark stand in the middle of the playing field and the minnows stand on one end of the field.
- To begin, have the shark say, “Anyone who is ______ can cross.” The shark should fill in the blank with some sort of trait. For example, “Anyone who is wearing blue can cross.”
- If the trait applies to any of the minnows, then they can freely cross to the other side of the field. If the trait does not apply to a minnow, then they must get to the other side without being tagged by the shark. If they’re tagged, then they have to sit out until the next game.
- Continue calling out traits until there is only one minnow left.
- Instead of sitting out, any minnows who are tagged should stand where they were caught. They become “seaweed” and can tag other minnows from where they’re standing.
- How did it feel when the trait applied to you? Did you ever feel “singled out”?
- What differences did you notice between you and your classmates?
- [For the shark] How did you choose which traits to call out?
Estimated Time: Short (<15 minutes)
- Celebrating Differences
Energy Level: High
Grade Level: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
Group Size: Large (10+)