Summary: Build toothpick and marshmallow towers in this sticky activity about teamwork and leadership.
- Split the group into teams. Each team should have about 3-6 people.
- The goal of this game is to see which team builds the highest tower using only the items provided. Make sure to set a time limit on building.
- For older groups, explain that each person within a team will have certain abilities taken away from them:
- Person A – eyes open, can talk, cannot build
- Person B – eyes open, cannot talk, can only build using pointer and middle fingers
- Person C – eyes closed, can talk, can build
- Try playing multiple rounds, but have students switch roles.
- For each role, how did the challenge go? What was the hardest part?
- What helped you succeed? What presented the biggest challenge?
- [If you switched roles] What was different about your experience this time around? Did you understand your teammate’s difficulties more or less?
- Are there times in life when you need help with something that you can’t do yourself? Describe a time this has happened.
Activity Length: Long (>30 minutes)
Energy Level: Medium
Grade Level: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th & Up
Group Size: Large (10+), Medium (5-9), Small (2-4), Pairs