Summary: Players have to work together to raise and lower an object, while only have two fingers each to support it.
- Hula hoop and/or a long stick
- Split the group into teams of 5. Consider demonstrated the game before officially playing.
- Explain that the object of the game is for team members to work together to lower their hula-hoop to the ground.
- Team members should stand in a tight circle. Each member should raise their hands to shoulder level and pretend like they’re pointing at something directly in front of them. Make sure that their fingers are level, and then place the hula-hoop on top of their fingertips.
- Make sure that all the team members understand they must always have two fingers touching the hula-hoop. The goal is to lower the hula-hoop to the ground and raise it back up, all without losing touch.
- Have monitors walking around and ensure that everyone’s fingers are always in contact with the hula-hoop. If someone does not have both fingers on the hula-hoop, their team has to start again. After each group has completed the task once, have the groups try a second time without talking.
- Was this activity easier or harder than you expected?
- How did you effectively lower the hoop while working as a team?
- Is it hard to work together without talking?
Activity Length: Medium (15-30 minutes)
Grade Level: 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th & Up
Energy Level: Low
Group Size: Small (2-4), Medium (5-9), Large (10+)