Summary: The object of the game is to create a web that connects the entire group by passing a ball of yarn to each member of the circle while expressing your feelings.
- Yarn or String
- Have the students sit in a circle. Explain that they will be passing a ball of yarn and talking about feelings.
- Have the facilitator start by saying “Hi, my name is ____ and I’m feeling ____.” (You could also use prompts like “I feel happy when ______.”)
- Pass the ball of yarn to another student in the circle while holding on to the end of the string.
- Continue passing the yarn around until everyone is connected.
- Conclude the game by showing how interconnected the web of yarn has become. You can also show that by pulling on your end of the string, you can create a ripple effect throughout the entire web.
- How did it feel to express your feelings in front of the group?
- What are some ways to make people feel comfortable when they share their feelings?
- How does it feel to know that everyone is connected?
Activity Length: Short (<15 minutes)
Energy Level: Low
Grade Level: Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 3rd
Group Size: Large (10+), Medium (5-9)