Summary: A variation on tag where there is no running, so it’s lower energy.
- Begin by explaining that there will be no actual running in this game. Instead, players will have to walk “heel to toe,” meaning that the heel of one foot must touch the toe of the other foot with every step. Make sure to demonstrate so players understand.
- Explain that the playing area is the ocean, and all the players are clams (clams are very slow walkers). The game is played like regular tag with one person being “it.”
- When players are tagged, they are “stuck in the mud”. They must wave their arms in the air and ask for help. Two other players can free another by standing on either side of the stuck person, linking hands, and saying “Claaaam Free!”. When players are freeing someone, they cannot be tagged.
- How did it feel to help someone?
- How did it feel to be helped?
- Why was it important to speak up in this game?
Activity Length: Short (<15 minutes)
Energy Level: Medium
Grade Level: 1st, 2nd, 3rd
Group Size: Large (10+), Medium (5-9)