Summary: Paper islands are laid out and groups must travel from point A to point B by only stepping on the islands.
- Paper islands, or something to put on the floor to represent islands
- Decide on the starting destination and the ending destination. Lay out the “islands” between these two points. Where the islands are placed will determine the difficulty of the game (the farther away from each other they are, the harder the game).
- Split the group in teams. The bigger the teams, the harder the game.
- Decide on the rules of the game. For example:
- Players cannot communicate verbally.
- Players must hold hands throughout the entire journey.
- The first person cannot step off of the last island until the last person is on the first island.
- If someone steps into the water (off of an island), an island will be removed from their team’s path, making the challenge more difficult.
- Teams take turns trying to make it across the islands. The game ends when everyone gets to the other side successfully.
- This may be presented as a competition between two teams, a race against the clock, or both!
- What was the hardest part of the game?
- How did you work with your teammates to make it across the islands?
- What would you have done differently?
Activity Length: Medium (15-30 minutes)
Energy Level: High
Grade Level: 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th & Up
Group Size: Large (10+), Medium (5-9)