Summary: A high-energy classic that works well with younger age groups.
- Have the players sit in a circle, facing inward.
- Select one player to be the “picker.” The picker will walk around the circle and gently tap each player they pass, calling them a “duck.” The picker should pick one player in the circle to call a “thing” — the picker can choose whichever animal/object/thing they want.
- Once the picker picks a “thing,” their goal is to run around the circle and get back to the thing’s spot before getting caught by the thing who should be chasing them.
- If the picker succeeds, then the chaser is now the picker and the process repeats.
- If the chaser succeeds in tagging the picker, the chaser gets to return to their spot and the picker should repeat the process.
- Instead of tapping a player to choose them, the player who is “it” should be holding a small item and should drop it behind the player they choose. It is up to them to notice that the item has been dropped behind them. Once they notice, they should pick up the item and hold it before chasing the player who is it.
- When you were the picker, how did you decide which player was going to be the “thing”?
- What should you do when you’re sitting in the circle?
Activity Length: Short (<15 minutes)
Energy Level: High
Grade Level: Pre-K, Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd
Group Size: Large (10+)