Summary: A high energy game similar to Simon Says. The captain calls out “orders” from the middle of the room while the sailors do their best to follow orders.
- Explain the commands to the players (listed below).
- Choose one player to be the “captain” who will call out the commands.
- Begin the game by calling out a command. If a player does the incorrect action or cannot find a group, then that player is considered “overboard” (aka out until the next round).
- The game ends when there is only one player left.
- Captain’s Waltz: players must find a partner and pretend to waltz around the room.
- Row Boat: players must form groups of three, stand in a line, and pretend to be rowing a boat while singing “row, row, row your boat.”
- Captain’s Table: players must form groups of four and pretend to be sitting around a table eating dinner.
- Starfish: players must form groups of five, put their arms together in the center of the circle, and spin around, creating the five arms of a starfish.
- Beached Whale: players must lie down on their backs and put their arms and legs in the air.
- Port: all players must run to the left side of the room.
- Starboard: all players must run to the right side of the room.
- Bow: all players must run to the front of the room.
- Stern: all players must run to the back of the room.
- Attention: All participants must face the captain and stand at attention. Once this command is called no one may move or perform other commands until the captain says “at ease.”
- Were you better at some commands than others?
- How did you find people to do commands with?
- What was the hardest part of the game?
- How did it feel when you didn’t follow the orders properly?
- Was it difficult or easy to find a partner?
Activity Length: Short (<15 minutes)
Energy Level: High
Grade Level: 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th & Up
Group Size: Large (10+)