Summary: Use creativity to explore and celebrate each other’s differences in this fun game about communication and diversity.
- (Optional) Consider creating a Flag for the Alien planet using pre-cut pieces of construction paper shapes that can be arranged and glued on one shared piece of construction paper.
- Split the students up into small groups of 3-4.
- Explain that each group has just found a new planet. They must come up with a name for their new planet and a way to greet each other. The greeting must have a phrase and a motion.
- Once everyone is finished, have students take some time to greet each other.
- End by sharing the Alien cultures in a debrief circle.
- How were your greetings different? How were they similar?
- What did you like about the greetings from the other “planets”?
- [For older students] What is a culture? Can you think of some examples of cultures?
- Is it okay for your greeting/culture to be different from someone else’s? Why or why not?
Activity Length: Short (<15 minutes)
Energy Level: Low, Medium
Grade Level: Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 3rd
Group Size: Large (10+), Medium (5-9)